Sewing: My Favorite New Kimono

So about 6 years ago, I took a sewing course and found it to be so much fun, but challenging. My instructor at a local college was overwhelmed with the amount of students in the class, each with their own pattern, and I often felt ignored. Even in that moment, I still had a great passion for sewing and creating my own clothes but put it on the back burner for the time being. Enter my Mom, who I completely forgot was basically a seamstress some time ago - working in a garment factory. So I thought, this is awesome, spend time with Mom and make garments. Perfect!

Well here I am three months into the process and I'm still loving it. I get excited putting together my own pieces and rocking the finished product. Most recently I completed Simplicity Pattern 1318. This is the pattern for a kimono jacket I've wanted to make every since I saw this tutorial. I intended originally to make the same exact version of With Wendy's Velvet Kimono, but after buying the fabric - was inspired to add Fringe instead.

The Simplicity Pattern was easy enough to follow. Pattern instructions are still a bit of a mystery to me, so there was a good deal of Google involved. The sleeves proved to be most challenging because of their volume and the need to hem them. My machine also struggled to sew the 6 inch chainette black fringe. I think all the little pieces just were just making my machine very grumpy. But, I completed it and I love it. It feels like it's not cold enough to wear it everyday because even though this is a velvet panne, it tends to be very warm. It's supposed to get chilly this weekend - color me excited.

Xo,

Tammie

No comments